First Church is committed to continued Christian growth and seeks to provide varied opportunities for education and fellowship. Please contact Pastor Tish Bowman at 451.2879 or email@example.com if you have questions. Click here to register for adult opportunities Online.
Adult Education Opportunities We believe that adult church school is a place to learn about our faith and how it affects our lives. We also believe that we can learn from each other. A wide variety of topics are covered. The classes provide information to stimulate thinking, discussion and new ideas while getting to know the people in the class.
A New Way to Look at the Gospel of Mark
Join us on Sunday, September 21 from 5:00 - 7:00 pm for "A New Way to Look at the Gospel of Mark." John Killinger will be leading a teaching session on his book, “Hidden Mark.” A limited number of books will be available in the north lobby for the special price of $12. Get your copy while they last! Participants should begin reading with the goal of completing the book by the 21st. Child care available.
DISCIPLE 2: Into The Word Into The World
Beginning September 17, 2014, 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
This study builds on biblical knowledge gained in Disciple 1, and deepens biblical understanding by probing selected portions of Scripture, shifting from the broad view to a deeper, more detailed view. Disciple 2 is an in-depth study of Genesis, Exodus, Luke and Acts. As you will remember, Genesis and Exodus are foundational books of the Bible that cover creation, Noah and the ark, the call of Abraham, the stories of Moses, the Ten Commandments and much more! The writings of Luke, who wrote both Luke and Acts, cover more of the New Testament than any other single author, including Paul. From the first chapter of Luke through the last chapter of Acts, the Holy Spirit is active in a very powerful way. These writings are very readable and convey information and an excitement about the early church that are not to be found anywhere else in the Bible.
The emphasis of this 32-week study is both to understand the text (Into the Word) and to allow the text to challenge and inspire the student to respond in practical ways (Into the World). In addition to the Bible study, each lesson identifies one spiritual discipline to experience during the week.
We hope that you will give prayerful consideration to joining us in the fall. Sign up online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet
ONGOING ADULT OPPORTUNITIES
- Book Club — Meets second Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm in area restaurants to discuss current books. Contact Marlys Davis, 735.3339.
- Fixin' 'n' Fellowship — Meets year round every other Thursday morning at 9:00 am in room 105. We start the day with fellowship over coffee and baked goods, and then tackle minor repairs needed throughout the church buildings.
- Moms’ Group — This is a wonderful opportunity for moms of young children to meet and support each other. Kids and dads are welcome too! Click here to see when our next event is.
OLDER ADULT OPPORTUNITIES
Join our many activities and ministry programs planned especially for adults who are 60 or more years of age!
- 60's + Luncheon — A catered lunch and short program. Meets the third Monday of the month at noon in Wesley Hall. Does not meet Januray, February, July, and August.
- Retiree Bible Study — Meets at 11:00 am on Monday mornings at First Place. Using the daily and weekly devotions from Christian Linving in the Mature Years, this group offers lively discussion and wonderful fellowship. New members are always welcome.