Music and the Arts
Come join one of our many Music Ministry ensembles! Members of these groups are called upon to serve the Lord with their special talents, while at the same time enhancing our worship. No auditions are required when joining any of the childrens, youth, or adult choirs. We invite you to become involved in this exciting program!
Vocal Music Programs for Adults
- Chancel Choir This is a group of women and men (high school age or older) given the special gift of singing (the ability to read music is helpful). This choir rehearses from September to May. Thursday nights from 7:00 - 9:00 pm.
Auditions are required to join the following smaller vocal ensembles:
Voices of Praise
Vocal Music Programs for Children and Youth
Rehearsals run September - May
Children & Youth reinforce their Christian education through the songs they sing. The Choirs participate in worship once a month during the school year.
Faith Travelers' Choir (Grade 1 – 6) ------ Rehearses Sundays, 10:25 - 10:55 am
Choristers and Treble Ringers (Grade 3 – 8) ------ Rehearses Sundays, 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Youth Choir (Grades 7 – 12) ----- Rehearses Sundays, 10:25 - 10:55 am
Arts Alive Day Camp
This camp is offered in August for children entering 1st – 6th grade in the fall. Click here for more information.
Instrumental Music Programs for Adults
- Jubilation Ringers Handbell Ensemble (intermediate to advanced handbell ensemble) This group participates in worship once a month and during major concerts. Rehearsals on Thursdays from 6:10 – 7:25 pm.
- Barclay street brass ensemble This select group plays challenging brass music for services and major festivals. Audition required.
Dance in Worship
First Church Liturgical Dancers As a form of worship, dance has a long history - even at FUMC! For many years movement and dance have been used in our services to praise God. First Church was one of the first in the area to have an active dance program. We participate in worship three to four times a year. There are three main opportunities:
- Sacred Steps, The Dance Choir for 6 - 12th grade females, is currently seeking new leadership. Look for details this fall. ALL dance experience levels are welcomed and encouraged. Make this the year you give sacred dance a try!
- Adults are encouraged to participate in Faith in Motion, a dance choir that rehearses on an as-needed basis.
- All ages are welcome to participate in a few processionals annually.
Art Gallery First Church considers art a form of praise and worship. We regularly rotate exhibitions of artists. Hours are: Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 – 11:00 am.
Celebration of the Arts Every year artists from around West Michigan participate in this juried religious art festival at First United Methodist Church. This week long event includes a variety of media, from sculpture to water color. A feast for the eyes! Takes place ten days before Ash Wednesday. Volunteers are needed to help organize this event. For more information visit www.thecelebrationofthearts.com.
Music with a Mission
Every year First Church enjoys concerts by national and local artists. Past artists have included tenor Henry Pleas and the Embellish Handbell Ensemble. Click here to learn more about Music with a Mission.
For more information about these and other arts ministries please contact the Eric Strand, Director of Music and Arts Ministries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music and Arts Ministry Announcements:
Jazz Vespers: featuring Regional Jazz the 3rd Saturday of the month at 6:00 pm.
Jazz Vespers features jazz bands from around West Michigan. It’s a unique opportunity to kick off an evening on the town or to unwind from a hectic week. Jazz Vespers is meant for jazz and worship lovers of all ages. Rev. Tish Bowman leads our Jazz services. Held September - May.
Spring 2013 Schedule:
- February 16: Fred Knapp Trio
- March 16: The Dave Collee Quartet featuring Ginny Dusseau
- April 20: The Randy Marsh Trio
- May 18: Tyler VanderMaas Sax Quartet
Taizé Sung Prayer Service
Taizé Sung Prayers is a service modeled after those from the ecumenical community in Taizé, France. The sung prayers or “chants” are quickly learned, easily memorized and sung repeatedly as a deepening and enriching meditative practice. Accompanied by an acoustic ensemble, the setting is filled with candlelight and a flowing tapestry. Interspersed between the music are prayers, scripture and periods of silence. These meditative services offer the opportunity expressed in Psalm 46: “Be still, and know that I am God.” Taizé is open to all people and is a wonderful way to connect with God in the midst of a busy week. Join us the 1st Wednesday of the month (September - May) at 7:00 pm at First United Methodist Church – 227 East Fulton St, Grand Rapids.
Worship Support Team
Click here to volunteer on our Worship Support Team as a: greeter, visitor assistant, north lobby greeter, parking attendant, usher, team alternate, or team leader.