Music and the Arts
Come join one of our many Music Ministry ensembles! Members of these groups are called upon to serve the Lord with their special talents, while at the same time enhancing our worship. No auditions are required when joining any of the childrens, youth, or adult choirs. We invite you to become involved in this exciting program!
Vocal Music Programs for Adults
- Chancel Choir This is a group of women and men (high school age or older) given the special gift of singing (the ability to read music is helpful). This choir rehearses from September to May. Thursday nights from 7:00 - 9:00 pm.
Auditions are required to join the following smaller vocal ensembles:
Voices of Praise
Vocal Music Programs for Children and Youth
Rehearsals run September - May
Children & Youth reinforce their Christian education through the songs they sing.
First Singers (Grade 3 – Adult) ------ Rehearses Sundays, 8:30 - 9:00 am
Sings for the 9:15 am Sunday service. This choir is intentionally set up for children, youth, and adults to sing together.
Youth Choir (Grades 7 – 12) ----- Rehearses Sundays, 10:25 - 10:55 am
Arts Alive Day Camp
This camp is offered in August for children entering 1st – 6th grade in the fall. Click here for more information.
Instrumental Music Programs for Adults
- Jubilation Ringers Handbell Ensemble (intermediate to advanced handbell ensemble) This group participates in worship once a month and during major concerts. Rehearsals on Thursdays from 6:10 – 7:25 pm.
- Barclay street brass ensemble This select group plays challenging brass music for services and major festivals. Audition required.
Dance in Worship
First Church Liturgical Dancers As a form of worship, dance has a long history - even at FUMC! For many years movement and dance have been used in our services to praise God. First Church was one of the first in the area to have an active dance program. We participate in worship three to four times a year. There are three main opportunities:
- Sacred Steps, The Dance Choir for 6 - 12th grade females, is currently seeking new leadership. Look for details this fall. ALL dance experience levels are welcomed and encouraged. Make this the year you give sacred dance a try!
- Adults are encouraged to participate in Faith in Motion, a dance choir that rehearses on an as-needed basis.
- All ages are welcome to participate in a few processionals annually.
Art Gallery First Church considers art a form of praise and worship. We regularly rotate exhibitions of artists. Hours are: Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 – 11:00 am.
Celebration of the Arts Every year artists from around West Michigan participate in this juried religious art festival at First United Methodist Church. This week long event includes a variety of media, from sculpture to water color. A feast for the eyes! Takes place ten days before Ash Wednesday. Volunteers are needed to help organize this event. For more information visit www.thecelebrationofthearts.com.
Music with a Mission
Every year First Church enjoys concerts by national and local artists. Past artists have included tenor Henry Pleas and the Embellish Handbell Ensemble. Click here to learn more about Music with a Mission.
For more information about these and other arts ministries please contact the Eric Strand, Director of Music and Arts Ministries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music and Arts Ministry Announcements: