Just for fun, here are some random facts totally irrelevant to anything in your life:
• Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
• Al Capone´s business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
• The only real person to be a Pez head was Betsy Ross.
• When the Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes the state´s third largest city.
• A dragonfly has a life-span of 24 hours.
• A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
• Winston Churchill was born in a ladies´ room during a dance.
• A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
• On an American $1 bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.
• It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
• The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
• In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
• The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
• A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
• Los Angeles´s full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula." It can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "L.A."
• An ostrich´s eye is bigger than its brain.
• "Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
Now, here are some vital facts from your church that are important to know!
• Our nurseries were overflowing with babies on Homecoming Sunday! All were well-cared for but helpers are especially needed at the 9:15 a.m. service.
• Our Junior Church at 11:00 a.m. had a great turn-out and helpers are needed!
• Our "Children In Worship" ministry centers were very full at both 9:15 & 11:00 a.m. We could really use more volunteers at both hours!
• Volunteer for these here: www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet
• As school begins, many more tutors are needed at MLK Leadership Academy and a place can be found for you!
• ArtPrize starts soon! You´re needed as a Lot Party volunteer or as a Venue host.
• Loads of people signed up for the new Disciple´s Path class on Homecoming. Classes begin next Sunday and the week following: you can still join any class!
• One current staff member has served First UMC for twenty years. We will thank Laure Mieskowski at the 11 a.m. service followed by a reception this Sunday!
• The beautiful "multi-level" paper banners in the sanctuary are ArtPrize entries! This Sunday you´ll find even more of them added to our worship.
• The dramatic Celtic and Love Crosses on the church lawn are ArtPrize entries.
• The Pathways process for spiritual growth was unveiled on Sunday. We heard great responses. Learn more here: www.grandrapidsfumc.org/pathways
• More than twice the expected number of people came to the Homecoming Brunch. Thank you, Fellowship Committee! They could use our help on October 21st.
This issue of the Weekly Pulse is full of enlivening information. Give it a close read and find a way to deepen your discipleship!
I hope to see you Sunday as we start to walk along the Disciple´s Path!
• September 11, 7:00 pm — Infertility Support Group
• September 15, 6:00 pm — Jazz Vespers: Max Colley III Quartet
• September 17, 12:00 pm — 60+ Luncheon
• September 19, 8:00 am — Caring Connection
• September 19 - October 7 — ArtPrize Venue
• September 24, 3:00 - 7:00 pm — Blood Drive
• September 27, 9:00 am — Fixin´ ´n´ Fellowship
• September 28, 1:00 - 9:00 pm — ArtPrize Lot Party
• September 29, 12:00 - 4:00 pm — ArtPrize Lot Party
• October 3, 7:00 pm — Taizé Sung Prayers
• October 5, 7:30 pm — Film & Lecture: Soul Tenders
• October 6, 7:30 pm — Anne Hills – Contemporary Folk Musician
• October 9, 7:00 pm — Infertility Support Group
• October 10, 6:00 pm — Sparks Service
FALL 2012 SUNDAY MORNING CHILDREN´S CLASS SCHEDULE Begins September 9 9:15 AM
• Infant Nursery — 0-23 months — Room 107
• Toddler Nursery — age 2-young 3 — Room 205
• Children & Worship — older 3s (potty trained) – K — Room 204/201
• Faith Travelers — 1-6th grade — 3rd floor Church bldg (Faith Travelers begin in worship with their parents. Following Moments with the Children, they are dismissed to class. Children of all ages are welcome to remain in worship if their families so desire.) 9:30 AM
• Junior High — 7-8th grade — The Vine South (1st floor of First Place bldg.)
• Senior High — 9-12th grade — The Vine North (1st floor of First Place bldg.) 11:00 AM
• Infant Nursery — 0-23 months — Room 107
• Toddler Nursery — age 2-young 3 — Room 205
• Children & Worship — older 3s (potty trained) – K — Room 204/201
• Junior Church — 1-2nd grade — Room 202 (Children in Junior Church begin in worship with their parents. Following Moments withthe Children, they are dismissed to class. Children of all ages are welcome to remain in worship if their families so desire.)
**Worship bags and Children´s Pages are available in the narthex with activities that allow for children to participate in worship at their own level.**
Please go to www.grandrapidsfumc.org/volunteers to sign up to serve in one of the areas listed below. If you have questions, please contact Annette Erbes at 451.2879 (Monday-Wednesday) or email@example.com. All volunteers must be cleared through our child protection policy procedures. • Infant Nursery (Rm 105) 9:15 & 11:00 am This fall our experienced nursery staff of Sherry Gates and Joyce Bland will care for all infants, birth – 23 months. The nursery is open from 9 am – 12:15 pm every Sunday. Adult and senior high students may volunteer in the Infant Nursery for the 9:15 am and/or 11:00 am services. Please sign up to serve three or more Sundays in the fall. • Toddler Nursery (Rm 205) 9:15 & 11:00 am Emily Mol, Stacey Siegel, Linnae Smalley and Helen Williams staff our Toddler Nursery for children aged 2 - young 3. Junior or senior high teens are needed to serve as helpers during the 11:00 am service. Please sign up to serve three or more Sundays in the fall. • Children & Worship (Rm 204 / 201) 9:15 & 11:00 am Children who are 3 years old and potty trained - kindergartners are eligible for this class. Holly Cook and Michele Vander Berg will return as the teachers at 9:15 am. Tammy DeWitt and Traci Beals will be the teachers at 11:00 am. Adult or senior high helpers are needed for each Sunday at 9:15 am or 11:00 am. Please sign up to serve three Sundays this fall. • Faith Travelers (3rd Floor) 9:30 am Faith Travelers is our rotation model church school class for 1st-6th graders. Children may attend worship with their families at 9:15 am and then are excused to church school following Moments with the Children. Children may also attend Faith Travelers at 9:30 am and then attend the 11 am worship service with their families. New teachers are always welcome. Contact Annette if you would like to learn more about Faith Travelers! • Junior Church (Rm 202) 11:00 am 1st and 2nd graders attend worship with their families at 11:00 am and then are excused to Junior Church following Moments with the Children. Our Junior Church teacher is Linnae Smalley. Junior, senior high or adult helpers are needed each week. • Kids Club (Wesley Hall) 5:00 – 7:00 pm Involves children in fun, service, prayer, and friendship as they learn what it means to be part of a Christian community. Kids Club is for children in 3rd-6th grade. The Kids Club Director is Emily Mol, assisted by Ken Mol. Parents are encouraged to help on a rotating basis.
CHILDREN´S MINISTRY PHOTOGRAPHER Would you like to help with Children´s Church School by serving as a photographer for Children´s Ministry events. If so, please sign up online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet or use the Sunday bulletin.
THIRD GRADERS Parents, do you have a third grade child this year? If so, we want to make you aware that the presentation of Bibles to our third grade students will occur on Sunday, September 23 during both worship hours. If you would like to have your third grader receive a Bible, please notify Annette Erbes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616.451.2879 to which worship service your child will be attending that day and the preferred listing of your child´s name for the nameplate. We look forward with your child to this opportunity for faith learning and growth.
• A DISCIPLE´S PATH — Everyone is invited to take this 7 week class! Combining a Wesleyan understanding of our growth in God´s love and grace with the time-tested practices of spiritual discipline as expressed in the membership vows to uphold the church with our presence, prayers, gifts, service, and witness, you will discover the difference it makes to live out your commitment to Christ through membership in the United Methodist Church. You will learn that being a disciple means loving God and loving others, and you will be equipped to do that by discovering your unique gifts and becoming engaged in ministry that also brings transformation in your own heart and life through the love and grace of Jesus Christ. Books are available from the north lobby receptionist: Workbook (required) $6.50, Companion Reader (optional) $7.00. Register online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet.
• Begins Sunday, September 16 from 9:30-10:30 am at First Place. Led by Rev. Bob Jones.
• Begins Sunday, September 16 from 5:00-6:30 pm at First Place. Led by Rev. Tish Bowman.
• Begins Tuesday, September 18 from 10:00-11:30 am at Skip & Lois Moseley´s (Clark Retirement). Led by Mary TerMeer.
• Begins Tuesday, September 18 from 7:00-8:30 pm at First Place. Led by Rev. Martha Beals.
• Begins Wednesday, September 19 from 6:30-8:00 pm at First Place. Led by Rev. Gary Haller.
• Begins Thursday, September 20 from 5:30-6:50 pm at FUMC. Led by Rev. Janet Carter.
• INVITATION TO GENESIS — It´s all so familiar, so we´ll make it interesting! Join Rev. Dick Youells and George Bob for a 10-week study of Genesis this fall modeled on the Disciple study series. From the beginning through the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph we´ll study their search for God and meaning in their lives. There´s still time to join! We began Sunday, September 9 and meet from 5:00 - 6:30 pm at First Place. Study materials can be picked up in the north lobby. Cost is $12. Register online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet.
FUMC BOOK CLUB will meet at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, September 12 at Arnie´s (815 Leonard St NW) for dinner and discussion of Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer. "In 20-year segments, Archer´s creative page-turner features the precocious Harry Clifton, an intellectually gifted youth from the Bristol dockyards mingling in the grand estate of a millionaire shipping magnate and challenged by secrets, mysteries, growing pains, and life-changing decisions regarding his own paternity and destiny...." (Library Journal). Please RSVP to Marlys Davis at 735-3339 or email@example.com by Tuesday, September 11.
NEW MEMBERS AND VISITORS If you would like to be included in our new "online" photo directory, but have not had your picture taken, we have some opportunities for you! On Sundays, October 7 and 21, between and after the 11:00 am services, pictures will be taken in Wesley Hall to be used in our online directory and the "New Member Board." If you have any questions, contact Patsy at 451.2879 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO YOU HAVE A COLLEGE STUDENT who has moved to a new address? Email Sami Marasigan at email@example.com with your student´s mailing address, email address, and phone number so that she can stay in touch, and so can the church!
60+ LUNCHEON will be held on Monday, September 17 at noon. Jack and Judy Secord will present "String-Along" musical. Please contact Elaine Youngs (735.5506) or Luci Baer (457.7797) to make a reservation.
IHN TRAINING Have you thought about volunteering to be a host for our IHN guests, but were not sure what you were getting yourself into? Come join us on Tuesday, October 16 at 6:00 pm in Wesley Hall as we conduct a training session put on by Barb Zylstra, Assistant Director to Family Promise of Grand Rapids. Come and learn how simple, easy, fun and rewarding it is to host our IHN guests. We will provide dinner and we will have you out by 7:15 pm at the latest. Sign up online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet or use the Sunday bulletin. I personally excel as an overnight host because I get to sleep on the job!
HANDS ACROSS THE CITIES - Grand Rapids and Mizak, Haiti Join us in celebrating International Day of Peace on September 22 from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Inspired by the work of Haitian Artisans for Peace International (HAPI), Grand Rapids artisans and justice workers will share practical ways to create peace through art and friendship. Located at the UM Conference Center parking lot, under the big tent. Free parking a block away at the Salvation Army Booth Family Services (1215 Fulton St E). See you there!
THE TYLER VANDER MAAS SAX QUARTET will be performing outside of St. Cecilia Music Center on Friday, September 21st at 6:30 pm. The name of Tyler´s composition is Intrepid Harmony and the voting number is 52634.
ARTPRIZE LOT PARTY DONATIONS NEEDED Items needed for the children´s craft area include: toilet paper tubes, yarn scraps, coffee filters, pipe cleaners, clothes pins, colored or patterned tissue paper, glue, construction paper, washable markers, and watercolor paints. Drop off donations to the ArtPrize bin in the north lobby donation area by September 22.
MOMS´ GROUP: ARTPRIZE LOT PARTY WITH KIDS´ ACTIVITIES Join us for a picnic and kids´ art stations after the 11:00 am worship service on Sunday, September 30. To RSVP or if you have a question, contact Sami at 451.2879, firstname.lastname@example.org or online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet.
THE METHODIST CONNECTION What is The Methodist Connection? An association of First Community AME, First United Methodist Church, Hilliard Chapel AME, and St. Luke AME Zion which meet together for yearly events as a way to further racial reconciliation and to widen the circle of friends and those for whom we care and pray. Here is how you can become involved this fall:
• Bus trip to Chicago on Saturday, September 29, 7 am – 8 pm: Participants choose to visit Shedd Aquarium or the Field Museum. All are welcome. $30 reserves your bus seat. Plan on an additional $30 - $50 to cover charges for museum entrance and meals.
• Methodist Connection Book Clubs will be restarting in October. New members are always welcome.
• Joint Worship Service on Sunday, November 11 at 6:00 pm in First Church sanctuary followed by pie social in Wesley Hall. All are welcome! Contact Skip Moseley at email@example.com or 949.8938 to reserve your spot for the bus trip or to learn more about book clubs.
PARTNERS FOR A RACISM-FREE COMMUNITY: Institute for Healing Racism It is our belief that the Institute for Healing Racism model of working on racial relationships has great value for the people of our community. The discipline and focus provided by these dialogues will begin the healing for all participants, regardless of ethnicity. This step of greater awareness and sensitivity links naturally to action steps which will have an impact on the quality of life for everyone in our community. Upcoming 8-Week Institute: Wednesdays, 7:30-9:30 am September 26 - November 14 at YWCA West Central Michigan (25 Sheldon Boulevard). Cost: $100. Call 616-466-6187 if you have questions.
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. LEADERSHIP ACADEMY NEWS As usual we are bursting at the seams…and more students are arriving daily. Although challenging, this is affirming to our staff. Martin Luther King Academy is a place in which parents want their children to attend school and learn! Part of that is due to the great programs FUMC provides. First Church is beginning its 21st year of our partnership with MLK. Besides weekly reading tutoring of K-2nd grade students, we run a variety of programs which involve approximately 100 volunteers on a weekly basis. These projects are encapsulated on the bulletin insert Homecoming Sunday. Additional copies of that list are available in the literature rack in the narthex. Our need for tutors is GREAT! We will provide training sessions the week of September 24. Please sign up today online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet or contact Leah Muir, Volunteer Coordinator at MLKTutoringCenter@gmail.com, to become a part of this important program. We would encourage each church member to prayerfully consider… Are you doing your part to embrace FUMC´s mission that impacts children in poverty?
YOUNG ADULT ARTPRIZING If you´re 18-30, then you´re invited to join our Young Adult Group on Wednesday, September 26 at 6:00 pm. Wear your walking shoes and join us in exploring ArtPrize! Meet at The Vine and bring some $$ to grab dinner as we go. Sign up online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/sign-up-sheet.
EASY FUNDRAISER TO BENEFIT OUR TUTORING CENTER AT MLK Shop D&W Fresh Market Stores and Family Fare Stores on:
• September 23-29
• October 21-27
• November 18-24
The CASH for CLASS fundraisers for the MLK Academy at D&W and Family Fare now have a very easy format. To support our Tutoring Center you must first be registered for the Spartan/D&W/Family Fare YES card, then during specific promotional periods, when your YES card is swiped MLK automatically benefits. Now is the time to get registered! Their promotions are starting soon and we want to be ready!
THE CATCH IS, everyone must register anew for this school year! This is how it´s done…. 1. Already a YES cardholder? Go to www.myyesrewards.com, log into your account by entering your email address and password under "Returning Members," go to "My Profile" page and link our school CODE 89389. 2. Already a YES cardholder, but don´t have an on-line account set up? Go to www.myyesrewards.com click "First-Time to Site" and follow the steps to complete account registration. Then complete part 1 as written above. CODE 89389. 3. Not a YES member yet? Go to www.myyesrewards.com and click "Join Us," fill out the registration form and link our school code to your card 89389! You can pick up your YES card at your store´s Customer Service desk. CODE 89389. 4. If all else fails, go to the Customer Service desk in any store and they can help you get a card and link your card to the FUMC – MLK Cash for Class number 89389.
Thank you for planning ahead to help us raise funds for the FUMC Tutoring Center!
INFERTILITY SUPPORT GROUP All who have experienced infertility issues, including miscarriage and secondary infertility, are invited to attend our next meeting on Tuesday, September 11 at 7:00 pm in The Vine. Please RSVP by using the bulletin sign-up sheet or by calling Marj Timmerman at 901.9224.
MEALS NEEDED!Chuck and Anne Zimmerman live on the SE side of Grand Rapids and would appreciate meals on Mondays and Wednesdays. Lynne Beals lives on the NE side of Grand Rapids. Sign up for either family online at www.grandrapidsfumc.org/take-them-a-meal. Meals do not need to be fancy! Thank you so much!
CARING CONNECTION The next meeting is on Wednesday, September 19 at 8:00 am at New Beginnings Restaurant (1455 Michigan St NE). We welcome anyone who would like to participate in caring for our homebound with phone calls, note-writing, and visits.
BLOOD DRIVE Our next Blood Drive will be Monday, September 24 from 3:00 - 7:00 pm in Wesley Hall. Please use the Sunday sign-up sheet or call the office to reserve a time to donate blood. If you can´t donate blood, cookies and caffeinated beverages are also needed! Be a part of this important mission to save lives.
JAZZ VESPERS, featuring Max Colley III Quartet, on Saturday, September 15 at 6:00 pm weaves scripture, a pastoral message and prayer into a celebration of faith, hope, and the love of God.
CURRENTLY SHOWING in the FUMC Art Gallery is an exhibit of our People´s Choice Award winners selected from our permanent art collection. Come and enjoy your favorites from years past. The art will be on display through Sunday, September 16.
TAIZÉ SERVICE Wednesday, October 3 at 7:00 pm. Taizé is a meditative service of choruses, accompanied by instruments and vocal solos. Communion, prayers for healing, and the lighting of candles are also offered. It´s a wonderful way to connect with God in the midst of a busy week.
FIRST CHURCH FAMILY CONCERNS Concerns & Prayers for:
• Lynne Beals
• Betsy Buist (outpatient surgery 9/12)
• Ginny Groat (hospice care)
• Corky Kastner
• Sue Reinhard
• Ellen Sadler (Blodgett Hospital)
• Dorothy Wimmer
• Chuck Zimmerman
• Chris Bolhouse
• Scott Grifhorst
• Stephan Mathos
• Jacob Mol
• Jesse Mounts
• Trevor Norton
• Shawn Seher
The love and prayers of the congregation are extended to the family and friends of Mary Raymond who died on August 28th. Memorial service arrangements are pending in Cadillac; and also to Lea and Fillipe Tobar and family on the death of Lea´s sister, Ines Martinez Garcia, on August 29th in Puerto Rico.